Board of Fire and Police Commissioners
The Board of Fire and Police Commission of the City of Park Ridge derives its power and authority from the Illinois Municipal Code, the Illinois Compiled Statutes as amended from time to time and from the City of Park Ridge under its Home Rule powers. The board consists of five members serving overlapping terms of three years. Meets the second Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm.
|John Duggan, Vice-Chair||04/30/2022|
|Peter McNamara, Chair||04/30/2023|
Katy Darr, SHRM-CP, Staff Liaison
Scope of Duties
The scope of duties of the Board shall generally include:
- Monitoring policies for recruiting, testing, selection and promotion for all employees covered under its authority. Monitoring personnel procedures and activities having to do with the administration of those policies for all employees covered under its authority.
- Administering oral interviews and written tests for new candidates and for the promotion of all employees covered under its authority as well as the selection and recommendation of new eligible candidates for hire and employees covered under its authority for promotion. The City Administration will assist the Board by conducting prescreening interviews and may assist with the administration of oral interviews and written tests.
- Certification of eligibility and promotional lists for new candidates and employees under its authority.
- Protecting the rights of the employees of the Fire and Police Department which are covered by its authority.
- Establishing guidelines and procedures for the discipline and termination of members of the Fire and Police Departments covered by its authority.
- Serving as an appeals board or hearing board for Police and Fire Department employees disciplined or terminated under guidelines established by these rules.
- Providing the City of Park Ridge with the highest quality of Fire and Police Department employees in order to conduct municipal affairs.
- The Board shall have such other powers and duties as are given it by the Statutes of the State of Illinois or by the Corporate Authorities of the City by ordinance. 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-5.
Rules and RegulationsView the Board of Fire and Police Commission’s Rules and Regulations