Recreational Cannabis in Park Ridge
On January 1, 2020, the production, consumption, and sale of recreational cannabis became legal in Illinois via the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act (CRTA).
On November 3, 2020, Park Ridge residents voted on an advisory (non-binding) referendum. The purpose of the referendum question was to seek public opinion and guide future policy discussions by the City Council.
|Shall the City of Park Ridge allow the retail sale of adult use recreational cannabis products at dispensary businesses licensed by the State of Illinois?||Yes – 60.42%|
|No – 39.58%|
On February 1, 2021, the Park Ridge City Council approved zoning regulations pertaining to adult use recreational cannabis dispensaries to describe where they could potentially be located in the City.
Pursuant to state law, municipalities cannot ban the private consumption or possession of recreational cannabis in a manner described by State law. However, municipalities do have the ability to develop zoning ordinances to bar or regulate cannabis business operations within their borders.
The ordinance approved by the City Council provides the necessary oversight and restrictions to ensure that recreational cannabis dispensaries operate consistent with both State and local regulations. Key points of the approved Park Ridge City Ordinance include:
- No more than two (2) recreational cannabis dispensaries are allowed in Park Ridge.
- All owners of recreational cannabis dispensaries who wish to open and operate here are required to go through a public hearing process and obtain special use approval from the City.
- While recreational and/or medical cannabis dispensaries are allowed as a special use, recreational cultivation centers, craft growers, processors, infusers, and cannabis transporting organizations are prohibited.
- A 100-foot buffer is established between recreational/medical cannabis facilities and schools, daycare facilities, museums, libraries, substance abuse treatment/counseling centers.
- Dispensaries cannot be located within 1,500 feet of each other.
- Recreational or medical cannabis dispensaries cannot be located in a residential area.
- The consumption of cannabis on-site at recreational cannabis dispensaries is strictly prohibited.
- Access to recreational cannabis dispensaries to any individual under the age of 21 is strictly prohibited.
The City can establish additional conditions for recreational cannabis dispensaries to ensure they operate consistent with the public health, safety, and welfare of the City. This includes conducting random compliance checks similar to those completed for alcohol and tobacco retailers.
Furthermore, any dispensary that violates the provisions of the special use ordinance and conditions may be subject to revocation of the City’s special use approval.
To view City Council actions, visit the related meetings portal.