Hiring an Arborist
Print this page
- ISA Certification Arborists. Arborists certified through the International Society of Arboriculture are experienced professionals who have passed a comprehensive examination on tree care and who also meet requirements for on-going education.
- Education such as a degree in urban forestry, forestry, horticulture, arboriculture or related field.
- Accreditation & Membership in professional organizations including the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA), International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA), and the Illinois Arborists Assocation (IAA).
- Park Ridge Contractor Registration & Proof of Insurance. If the tree care company/arborist is not registered and uninsured, homeowners can be held responsible for any injuries or damage that may occur during the tree work.
- Necessary Permits to perform tree work. While the city does not require permits for pruning, a permit is necessary to remove a tree over 10" in diameter (measured at 4.5' from the ground) on private property. Visit the FAQ page for more information on required permits.
Why Hire an Arborist? If you would like to learn more about services that arborists provide, the criteria for selecting an arborist, and the benefits of hiring an ISA Certified Arborist, please visit the ISA's "Why Hire an Arborist?"
For additional information about tree ownership and maintenance, please view the following resources:
Trees Are Good - Tree Owner Information
USDA Forest Service - Tree Owner's Manual