Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Community Preservation and Development

Building Codes. What codes has the City adopted?
Building Codes Used by Park RidgeThe City of Park Ridge has adopted by reference international and national codes for the purpose of establishing rules and regulations for the design, and construction or alteration of buildings and structures. In some instances, the City has adopted amendments, additions or deletions to these codes. In the event of a conflict between any provisions of the International Building Code and any provision of the City of Park Ridge Municipal Code, the specific provisions of the Park Ridge Municipal Code shall prevail.

Adoption of the 2021 International Code Council International Codes

The City of Park Ridge Building Division is in the final stage of adoption of the 2021 publication of the ICC International Codes. The following codes are currently under review and adoption is anticipated by the end of the first quarter of 2024:

  • International Building Code (IBC), 2021 edition. Published by the International Code Council, Inc. Chapter 11 is deleted; see Illinois Accessibility Code. Also see Municipal Code Article 15, Chapter 2 for local amendments.
  • International Residential Code (IRC), 2021 edition. Published by the International Code Council, Inc. Also see Municipal Code Article 15, Chapter 3 for local amendments.
  • International Mechanical Code (IMC), 2021 edition. Published by International Code Council, Inc. Also see Municipal Code Article 15, Chapter 4 for local amendments.
  • International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), 2021 edition. Published by International Code Council, Inc.
  • International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC), 2021 edition. Published by International Code Council.
  • International Fire Code, 2021 edition. Published by the International Code Council, Inc. Also Municipal Code Article 7, Chapter 1 for local amendments.
  • International Swimming Pool & Spa Code, 2021 edition. Published by the International Code Council, Inc. Also Municipal Code Article 15, Chapter 15 for local amendments.
  • NFPA 101 Life Safety Code, 2021 edition. Published by the National Fire Protection Association. Also see Municipal Code Article 7, Chapter 1 for local amendments.
  • Illinois State Plumbing Code, 2014 and any future revisions or amendments. Published by the State of Illinois. Also see Municipal Code Article 15, Chapter 6 for local amendments.
  • Illinois Accessibility Code (IAC), 2018 edition. Published by the State of Illinois Capital Development Board. Accessibility, Chapter 11 of the International Building Code is deleted.
  • National Electrical Code (NEC), 2020 edition. Published by the National Fire Protection Association, Inc. Also see Municipal Code Article 15, Chapter 5 for local amendments.

If you have any questions, please call The Department of Community Preservation & Development at (847) 318-5291.

To purchase these books, contact the International Code Council at: 800-214-4321 or

The City of Park Ridge amendments to the above adopted codes are in the City’s Municipal Code, Chapter 15.
Building Permit. What do I need to obtain a permit?
Building Permit. When do I need a building permit?
A building permit is required for the construction of any building, or alterations or additions to any building or structure, including but not limited to:

  • The removal of any wall or portion thereof
  • The removal or changing of any structural beam or bearing support
  • The removal or changing of any required means of egress
  • Rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the exit requirements
  • Construction or resurfacing of driveways and off street parking facilities
  • Construction of all flat work
  • Installation of siding in excess of one hundred (100) square feet
  • Deck, porch, stair or stoop construction or replacement
  • Installation of or alteration to an elevator
  • Exterior door or window replacement or installation involving structural changes
  • Addition to, alteration, replacement or relocation of any standpipe system, water supply, plumbing, sewer, drainage, gas, soil waste, vent or similar piping, electrical wiring, heating, air conditioning, or other mechanical components
  • The construction of any fence, sign, shed, garage or accessory structure
  • Altering any land grade or to remove a tree with a 10 inch diameter at breast height (DBH) or greater
  • Installation of a swimming pool or a solar collector
  • A permit is not required for any repairs to a building or structure that will not result in the installation or relocation of any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical system or for any decorating of any building or structure. 
Building Permit Fees. What are the City's permit fees?
Construction Noise. When is construction noise allowed to start?
CONSTRUCTION HOURS:Per Section 14-9-3 of the Municipal Code, construction operation, including the delivery of equipment, supplies or materials, is allowed as follows:

  • Monday - Friday, 7:00 am – 7:00 pm
  • Saturday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
  • Sunday and holidays: Prohibited, except construction work that does not require fencing around the construction site may be performed on Sundays and holidays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The above restrictions do not apply to any construction operation by any governmental agency or governmental contractor.
Construction Regulations. What are the construction environment regulations?
  • Construction hours (including deliveries and any type of noise) are Monday through Friday, 7 am – 7 pm; Saturday, 8 am - 5 pm. Construction is prohibited on Sundays and holidays, even if the work is done entirely indoors.
  • Exception: Construction work that does not require fencing around the construction site may be done on Sundays and holidays between 8 am - 5 pm.
  • Fencing: All demolition and new construction shall have a six-foot high chain link fence installed and maintained around the perimeter of the construction site. Plastic snow fencing may be used to enclose the construction area for room additions and other minor construction projects and to encircle trees being protected.
  • Address numbers shall be posted on each and every unit (front and back) and on fences so they can be seen from all the streets.
  • Site, city sidewalks, city streets, etc. shall be kept clear, clean, orderly and unobstructed.  Dust is prohibited; demolition shall be sprayed with water.  Sidewalks shall have pedestrian protection, if open.
Contractor. How do I register a complaint about my contractor?
In general, the City can only regulate code related issues. Most issues are between the contractor and the owner. If you have a complaint you should:

  • Review your contract
  • Consult your attorney
  • Submit a complaint in writing to the Building Administrator
Fence Height Limitations. What are the height limitations for fence construction?

The Zoning Ordinance permits fences to be erected in residential districts to a height of five feet above the existing grade along any side, rear or corner side yard. Open fences four feet in height may be erected in the corner side yards of reversed corner lots. Fences are prohibited in front yards. In some instances, fences can be installed to a height of six feet for a distance not to exceed 25 feet. A permit is required for any fence. Requests for variances to the fence regulations may be submitted to the Zoning Board of Appeals.

Garage. Where do I find info re: building a garage? Either attached or unattached? If detached how far back does it need to be from the sidewalk and the boundaries of the lot?
Plumbing Changes or Additions. Is a permit required to alter plumbing, or to install additional plumbing, such as a second bathroom, in a house?
Article 15 of the Municipal Code  requires a permit for all plumbing installations or alterations. After a permit has been granted, no material change can be made without receiving written permission from the Building Department. Before any plumbing system is used, a certificate of inspection and approval must be obtained from the Building Department.


Fire Codes - What fire codes are enforced by the city?
The city has adopted the 2015 International Fire Code and the 2015  National Fire Protection Association Life Safety Code with amendments. The City's fire regulations can be found in Chapter 7 of the City's Municipal Code.

While every attempt is made to keep the information online as current as possible, you must check with the Fire Marshal at 847-318-5286 and the Community Preservation and Development Department at 847-318-5291 before making any plans.
Fire Hazards - How can a concern about a potential fire hazard in a building in Park Ridge be shared?

Contact the Park Ridge Fire Prevention Bureau at 847-318-5312.

Fire Safety Presentations - Is it possible to arrange for a firefighter to give a fire safety presentation to our group?

Yes, the Fire Department has a staff of firefighters who can speak on various fire, safety, and first aid topics during regular business hours. Please call 847-318-5313 for more information.

Fire Stations - Where are the Park Ridge fire stations located?
There are two fire stations in Park Ridge that are staffed 24 hours a day:

Fire Station 35
901 Devon Ave
Park Ridge, IL 60068

Fire Station 36
1000 N Greenwood Ave
Park Ridge, IL 60068

Additionally, the Fire Department administrative staff is located at City Hall:
505 Butler Place
Park Ridge, IL 60068
Hospital Requested - Why is the Park Ridge Fire Department not always able to take patients to the hospital specified by the citizen?
Paramedic level ambulance service is "emergency/life saving" in nature. Our firefighter/paramedics are required by state law to take the patient to the closest hospital unless the hospital determines and authorizes transportation to another hospital because of specialized treatment requirements.

The Park Ridge Fire Department is not able to provide transportation service for a non-emergency or transport request, because our firefighter/paramedics must be available to respond to emergencies.
Leaf burning - Is it permissible to burn leaves or brush in my yard or at the curb?

No, open burning is prohibited by city ordinance. The burning of leaves and yard waste is also prohibited.

Sprinklers - Are sprinklers required in all buildings?

Sprinklers are required in all new buildings and in some additions as well as in existing buildings that undergo a change in use. While we attempt to keep the information online as up to date as possible, please do not make any plans or decisions without consulting with the Fire Marshal at  847-318-5286 and the Community Preservation and Development Department at 847-318-5291.


Brush. Does the City pick up brush?
As of September 2009, the City of Park Ridge no longer routinely collects brush and branches for chipping.

Public Works will pick up large branches that have fallen from parkway trees if notified.

Twigs and small branches can be broken up and placed in large paper yard bags (not plastic) or in special landscape/yard waste carts.  If you wish to purchase a landscape/yardwaste cart, contact Groot Industries at 800-244-1977.   Branches must be bundled and securely tied with biodegradable twine not exceeding 2 feet in diameter and 4 feet in length per bundle. Larger branches or full tree removals will require that you contact a tree service company or landscaper to arrange for removal.
Dead Tree. Will the city remove the dead tree in the alley behind our property?

If the tree is located on City property and is dead, the City will remove it.

Neighbor's Tree. My neighbor's tree is hanging over my property line.

As trees grow and develop they are not aware of property lines. The City does not get involved in such private property issues. If a tree on your neighbor’s property is encroaching onto your property, or hanging over the property line, it is best to first talk to your neighbor to work out a solution that is acceptable to both of you. Limbs that extend over your property line do not automatically warrant removal if it is not causing interference. If you feel that the encroaching branches are a hazard, you are within your rights to prune them as long as pruning is in accordance with ANSI A300 Standards and such pruning does not cause harm (or substantial destruction) to the tree.

Parkway Tree. My parkway tree needs pruning.
The City is divided into multiple zones and is currently on a six year pruning cycle for parkway trees.  Pruning cycles may vary depending on the annual budget.  If you think your tree should be pruned sooner, complete the online contact form on this website or call the Forestry Division and your tree will be evaluated and possibly pruned sooner.  Reasons for pruning outside of the cyclical pruning program may include large deadwood or broken limbs, storm damage, raising low branches for pedestrian or vehicular travel, interference with buildings or other reasons found necessary by the Forestry Division.

Visit the Parkway Tree Pruning page for more information.

A resident who wants to prune a parkway tree at their own expense may apply for a Forestry Right of Way Work Permit. If approved by the Forestry Division, pruning must be in accordance with ANSI standards and by a Certified Arborist.
Parkway Tree. My parkway tree is dead.

The city removes dead trees on city property. If you think your tree is dead, complete the online contact form on this website or call the Forestry Division and your tree will be evaluated and removed if necessary. Your address will automatically go on a list for a replacement tree. 

Visit the Parkway Tree Removal page for more information.

Parkway Tree. Can I get a new parkway tree?
The City plants trees twice per year in the spring and fall.  

Visit the Parkway Tree Planting page for more information. 
Parkway Trees. What procedure needs to be followed to plant a tree on a City parkway?

If you do not wish to participate in the City’s tree planting program or if you wish to have a larger diameter tree, you can apply for a Forestry Right-of-Way work permit and if approved, you can plant a tree at your expense.   Trees must be 2” caliper (measured 6” off of the ground) or greater and only approved species will be permitted to be planted on City parkways. 

Roots. Could my tree roots be invading my sewer?
Most tree roots grow primarily in the top three feet of soil and sewer house laterals are usually a minimum of six feet deep at the right-of-way.  Tree roots do not invade sewer pipes that are structurally sound.  When a sewer pipe is already cracked or broken tree roots may find their way into the pipe.  Homeowners should periodically inspect their sewer house lateral to prevent future problems and costly repairs and can do so by installing a sewer cleanout for easy access. Placing root-killing chemicals in your sewer line on a regular basis can control root growth in the sewer. These chemicals are available from your local hardware store. Most new homes have ABS or PVC sewer lines. These pipes are more desirable, and roots are less likely to enter these kinds of pipes. 

The city will not remove a parkway tree for root/sewer conflicts.  Additionally, private property tree removal permits will only be issued if necessary sewer repairs are needed.  Generally, tree roots found in sewer lines do not warrant the removal of a healthy, protected tree as it does not fix the underlying sewer problem.   Trees are important pieces of the city’s infrastructure that provide many benefits to the city and its residents including storm water flow reduction and absorption, increased shade to reduce energy costs, reduced pollution by cleaning the air, and increasing property values, to name a few.
Tree Diagnostic Service. Will the City Forester examine trees and shrubs located on private property?

The Forestry Division does not inspect or make any recommendations for any trees, grass or shrubs located on private property.  Please contact a certified arborist to help diagnose tree issues and to make any maintenance recommendations for your trees.   

Tree Removals. What are the rules for tree removals?
Parkway Tree Removals - Parkway tree removals are performed by the City of Park Ridge.  If you are concerned about the health of your parkway tree, submit an online request for Forestry staff to evaluate the tree.  Visit the Parkway Tree Removal page for more information.

Private Tree Removals - Tree removal on private property is the responsibility of the property owner.  A permit is required for the removal of any private tree that is 10 inches or greater in diameter, measured 4.5 feet from the ground.  Please visit the Tree Preservation page for more information.
Tree Permit. Do I need a permit to remove a tree on my private property?
A tree removal permit is required for the removal of all trees larger than 10” in diameter.  (See Article 15, Chapter 18 of the Municipal Code). 

The permit application is available here or at City Hall and should be submitted online via the Online Permit Portal. Permits may also be submitted at City Hall in the Public Works Administration office. There is no charge for the permit.

In certain cases, as determined by the Forestry Division, if the tree you wish to remove is a healthy, Protected Tree, you will be required to replant one, two-inch caliper tree for every 10” of diameter removed and place into escrow an amount of money equal to the tree replacement value ($400 per required replacement tree).  The money will be returned to you when the new trees are planted. If you choose not to plant new trees, the escrow will be deposited in to the City’s Tree Bank and will be used to plant trees on public property  in the city. 

Per the Park Ridge Municipal Code 15-18-5, permits authorizing the removal of trees may be issued in accordance with, but not necessarily limited to, the following conditions:

  1. The tree is dead, dying, diseased or within the Buffer Zone (12’ of the principle structure). 
  2. The tree is damaged or injured to the extent that is it likely to die or become hazardous within three years.
  3. Removal of the tree is consistent with good forestry practices in consideration of the species, location, condition, age safety and historic/aesthetic value of the tree to be removed.
  4. Removal of the tree will enhance the health of one or more trees, of greater relative value, within the immediate vicinity of the tree being removed. 
  5. Reasonable efforts have been undertaken in the architectural layout and design of the proposed development or improvement to minimize tree damage and/or removal.
Trees Around Utility Lines. Who is responsible for pruning trees growing into and around the utility lines?

Commonwealth Edison (ComEd) cyclically prunes trees around electrical lines that go from pole to pole every four-years. Residents are notified by ComEd prior to any pruning activities. Call 1-800-EDISON-1 for any tree/wire conflicts. Utility poles often carry more than just electricity lines. Other utilities are not responsible for maintaining trees around their lines. You may be able to get a private contractor to do the work at your expense. Utility companies are not responsible for pruning around lines that go from their utility pole to your house.


Animal Regulations. What are Park Ridge animal regulations?

Animal regulations can be found here.

Birth Certificate. Where can I get a birth certificate?
Park Ridge does not issue birth certificates and does not provide copies of birth certificates.  The Cook County Clerk's Office is the keeper of all vital records.  You may obtain a copy by contacting the Cook County Clerk's Office at one of the following locations:

118 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60602; 312- 603-7790

5600 W Old Orchard Road, Room 149, Skokie, IL 60077; 847- 470-7233

2121 Euclid Ave, Room 238, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008; 847- 818-2850

Cook County Clerk's Office - Birth Certificate Information
Consumer Protection. Where can I make a consumer protection complaint?
The City of Park Ridge does not operate a consumer protection bureau to respond to complaints associated with Park Ridge businesses.

Unless the complaint is about a matter governed by City ordinance, consumer protection is handled by the Illinois Attorney General’s office and complaints may be filed by calling 312-814-3580.

If you have a complaint that relates to a health issue, call the City Health Department at 847-318-5281.
Fair Housing. What should I do if I feel a landlord, real estate agent or lending professional has discriminated against me?

Under the provisions of the City's Fair Housing Ordinance, Chapter 14 of Article 14, you should call the City Manager at 847-318-5205.

Payments. How can I make payments to the City?
Online Payment Options

The City’s online payment option provides our residents and customers with a reliable and secure way to pay from the convenience of their office or home.  Just CLICK HERE TO GET STARTED.
In Person
Payments can be made Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, in the Finance Department

 Call Accounts Receivable at 847-318-5218
Property Taxes. How do I appeal my property taxes?

Contact the Cook County Tax Assessors Office at 847-470-7237 or visit their website for information about Appeals, Exemptions and the Required Forms.

Property Transfer. What is required for a property transfer?

There is a transfer tax on any change in ownership of real estate. The seller must pay a property transfer tax of $2.00 dollars per $1,000 dollars of value or fraction thereof.

The following information must be provided before a transfer tax will be processed.

  • PTAX-203 or MyDec Form
  • Photo of Water Meter for Final Reading
  • Closing Date
  • Contact Name, Phone Number, and Email Address
Submit all documents to Finance to or by mail to;

City of Park Ridge
Attn: Finance Department
505 Butler PL.
Park Ridge, IL 60068-4182
Questions- 847-318-5222 option 4

NOTICE: A Transfer Tax Certificate will be issued upon payment of the applicable real estate transfer tax fee, in addition to, any and all other taxes and fees owed to the City including the final water bill. Payment for the transfer tax and any outstanding obligations can be made by cash, cashier’s check, MasterCard, VISA, Discover, or Attorney’s check. The processing fee for an exempt transfer certificate is $25.00.
Raffle License. Is it necessary to obtain a license to hold a raffle in the City of Park Ridge?

Yes, but only non-profit, fund raising organizations are eligible for a one-time raffle license. Selling tickets for a drawing to be held outside the City does not require a Park Ridge license, but may require a license from another jurisdiction. Raffle license application forms may be obtained at City Hall and must be submitted to the City Clerk at least fifteen days prior to the date of the drawing. The fee is $15.

Solicitors. What are the rules in regard to residential solicitors?

To prevent door-to-door solicitors from calling at your home, a "No Soliciting Allowed" sticker, available from the Administration Department at City Hall, must be displayed. Any organization that wants to solicit in residential areas is required to register in the Clerk's office in order to obtain a badge in the Police Department.  Residents should always check to see that a solicitor is wearing the appropriate badge.

Street Lights. How do I report a street light out?

To report a street light outage or street light problem to contact the Public Works Service center at 847-318-5240.  Repairs may take up to 6 weeks to complete as the street lights are maintained by either Com Ed or the City's contractor.

Voting. What voter services are offered by the City?

Click here for full information on voter services.

Tax Exemption Forms. How can I obtain Cook County tax exemption forms?

Contact the Cook County Tax Assessor's Office website or call 847-470-7237.

Where can I dispose of Medication and Sharps?
Medication and Sharps Disposal is held on the first Thursday of each month on the first floor of City Hall, between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.

Used CFL bulbs and mercury thermometers are also accepted.

**Please note: Batteries are not accepted**

Also, please be aware that there is a collection box for solid forms of prescription medication located inside the lobby of the Police Department at 200 S. Vine. Absolutely no sharps or liquid medication can be deposited into this box.
Metra Crossings: How do I report a concern with a railroad crossing?
Contact Union Pacific Grade Crossing Hotline, 800-848-8715, to report issues with the condition of railroad crossings and malfunctioning crossing gates. 

Historic Preservation

Apply. How do I apply for landmark designation?

Applicants must complete a Park Ridge Landmark Designation Application form, which can be obtained at City Hall, in the Department of Community Preservation & Development on the second floor. The form can also be found online HERE. Upon preliminary review and approval of the application, a public hearing will be scheduled. The nomination must then be recommended by the Historic Preservation Commission. Final approval is granted by the City Council.

Additional Approvals. If my home is designated a landmark, what additional approvals are required for any exterior modifications, etc.?
A Certificate of Appropriateness is required for an alteration to a landmarked structure.  The Historic Preservation Commission will review the proposed changes.  Appearance Commission review is not required for alterations to landmarked properties.  Landscaping changes alone and interior modifications at landmarked properties would not be subject to any Historic Preservation Commission review.
Commission. What is the Park Ridge Historic Preservation Commission?
The Park Ridge Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) is composed of nine residents, appointed by the mayor, with the advice and consent of City Council, with various backgrounds.

The Commission is responsible for many things, including identifying sites having historic significance; recommending the designation of landmarks, recommending the designation of historic districts; reviewing proposed alterations to landmarks and structures within historic districts; and educating the public about historic preservation. The Commission meets monthly and its meetings are public.

Click here to see the HPC webpage.
Historic District. What is a historic district, and what are the benefits of being in an historic district?
An historic district is a group of historic resources that are deemed significant as a collection of structures.

The purpose of designation of a district is to protect significant buildings within its boundaries from unnecessary or insensitive destruction, alteration or removal.  Recognition of the special historic, architectural or cultural qualities that make Park Ridge a unique and desirable place is another benefit.
Landmark. What is a local landmark and what are the benefits of local landmark designation?
A local landmark is a site or structure that has been identified as a critical architectural, historical or cultural resource with significance to Park Ridge.  The Historic Preservation Commission recommends approval to the City Council and the City Council takes final action on landmark designation.

The benefits of owning a local landmark are recognition and protection of the landmark as a significant Park Ridge historic, architectural or cultural resource.  Other benefits include participation in the nationwide effort to preserve the character of local communities, possible owner benefits through the State of Illinois, and a renewed civic pride in the beauty and accomplishments of the past, thereby enhancing the City’s appeal to visitors.
Meeting Schedule. When does the Historic Preservation Commission meet?
The Commission meets on the first Wednesday of every month (excluding July & August) at 6:00pm at the Park Ridge City Hall, 505 Butler Place, in the Council Chambers on the 1st floor.

The HPC webpage has a link to the latest meeting schedule.
Owner Consent. Is owner consent required for landmark designation?
Yes, owner consent is required to become a local landmark.
Owner Consent, Historic District. Is owner consent required for historic districts?
Consent by the owners of not less than two-thirds of the zoning lots within the proposed historic district is required for district designation.  Applications for historic districts must have owner approval for at least 50% of the zoning lots within the proposed district.
Questions? If I have more questions, whom should I contact?
You may contact Richard Peters, City Planner, with any questions.
Rescind the Designation. If I sell my home after it is designated a landmark, can the next homeowner rescind the designation?
It is possible to rescind the designation, although the Commission would encourage and assist the owner in finding alternative options and solutions.


Air Conditioner Noise. Can the City do anything about a neighbor's air conditioner noise?
If window air-conditioning units are operating properly, there is nothing that the City can do about the noise emitted from them. However, outside condenser units must be set back the same distances as required for buildings and structures.

If a neighbor complains about the noise emitted from an outside unit, an  Environmental Health Officer will check the unit location and determine whether it is operating properly. If it is determined that the unit is  located less than the required distance, the owner may be required to move the unit.
Cars abandoned on a public right-of-way
Article 14-3-16 of the Municipal Code provides that no person shall abandon a motor vehicle on any street, highway or any public property or other public way.

A vehicle which has been abandoned on any public property or public way may be removed at the direction of a police official, provided that notice of intent to remove has been issued to the registered owner of the vehicle at the owner's last known address, advising that the vehicle must be removed within seven days, and that an appearance may be made before the Chief of Police to contest the removal. If the owner fails to present valid reasons why the vehicle should not be removed, it may be towed immediately to any public or private storage facility and the cost of such towing or storage charged to the owner in addition to any fine imposed.

"Abandoned vehicle" shall mean any motor vehicle or trailer which remains on public property for a period of seven days or more while being in inoperable condition due to having one or more flat tires, or lacking any structural or mechanical component necessary for normal operation, or lacking valid state or local registration or licensing, or is incapable of moving under its own power, or is uninsured.
Construction debris. Does the City require construction companies to clean up their construction debris?
Construction companies must keep construction sites, city sidewalks, city streets, etc. clear, clean, orderly and unobstructed.

Complaints about construction debris accumulated around buildings should be directed to the Building Department. The Building Department will investigate the complaint and require the company to clean up the debris.
Dog Barking. What can a citizen do if a neighbor's dog barks continuously?
A complaint should be filed with the Police Department and an officer will be dispatched to investigate. If no one is at home in the residence in which the dog is barking, the officer will return later to issue the owner a ticket. This could result in the owner having to appear in court, with the dog subject to impounding.
Excessive Noise. If a neighbor makes too much noise, what can be done?
Article 14 of the Municipal Code prohibits the use of any device, apparatus or instrument that emits any loud, excessive or unusual noise in any building or on any premises in the City, if the noise is an annoyance or inconvenience to persons on the street, public places or neighboring premises.

If the noise disturbs the peace of the neighborhood, it is considered a nuisance and the Police Department 847-318-5252 should be notified to restore peace.
Garden Trimmings. Is it permissible to dump garden trimmings and tree branches in vacant lots or alleys?
Article 5, Chapter 12 of the Municipal Code prohibits the dumping, depositing or placing of trash, garden trimmings, tree branches, stones, brick, plaster, concrete, scrap metal, lumber or any other discarded articles on any vacant lot, alley, school grounds, park, parkway, lawn or other private or public property

To notify the City, please complete a Citizen Request  or call Environmental Health at 847-318-5281 and leave a detailed message.
Grass and/or Weeds in Excess of 8"
Article 5, Chapter 11 of the Municipal Code states that all weeds in the City in excess of 8 inches in height are declared to be a public nuisance. If the owner of private property does not cut or remove weeds after being cited by the Health Official, the City can remove the weeds at the owner’s expense. If the owner of the property does not pay incurred expenses, a lien may be placed on the property.

To notify the City, please complete a Citizen Request  or call Environmental Health at 847-318-5281 and leave a detailed message.
Mosquitoes. What is done by the City to combat mosquitoes?
Park Ridge is included in two mosquito abatement districts, each of which sprays throughout the season for mosquitoes. Areas north of Devon, and the area south of Devon between Canfield and Cumberland Avenue, are covered by the Northwest Mosquito Abatement District. The area south of Devon and west of Cumberland is included in the Leyden Township District.
Open Burning. Is open burning prohibited in the City?
According to Article 7 of the Municipal Code, it is generally unlawful for anyone to burn any materials not contained in equipment installed and designed to operate within a principal building (e.g. residence). However, it is not unlawful for a person to burn such substances as are reasonably necessary for the purpose of cooking food for consumption by his family and guests.

The Fire Chief is authorized to issue permits for external fires when a public purpose can be shown for the fire and upon proof that the proper permits have been obtained from the proper authorities of the State of Illinois and County of Cook. The Environmental Health Officer responds to complaints regarding smoke, fumes and odors. That number is 847-318-5281.
Recreational Vehicles. Can a citizen store his recreational vehicle in his yard?
Section 12.12 of the Zoning Ordinance regulates the storage of recreational vehicles in residential areas. In general, these vehicles are permitted in the rear yard providing they are suitably screened.

Any questions regarding the storage of recreational vehicles on private property in other locations should be referred to the Building and Zoning Administrator.
Storage of Inoperable Vehicles
The placing or keeping of inoperable motor vehicles, machinery, implements or mechanical equipment on any private property for a period in excess of 10 days is considered a nuisance. No more than one inoperable motor vehicle may be stored upon a lot, if that one vehicle is kept within a structure enclosed on all four sides.

An "inoperable motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle, machinery, implement or mechanical equipment which is incapable of moving under its own power, or has one or more flat tires, or lacks any structural or mechanical component necessary for normal operation, or lacks valid state or local registration or licensing, or is raised on blocks.
Stray Animals. What can be done about stray dogs or cats in the neighborhood?
Any dog running at large (off the premises and not under the control of the owner), or any unlicensed dog will be impounded by the police. Each year owners of dogs and cats must purchase a license tag. No person is allowed to have more than four dogs or cats over the age of three months at one time. Violation of these rules should be reported to the Police Department or Environmental Health Officer.


Handicapped Parking. Where can I get a placard for handicapped parking?
Temporary disability parking permits, valid for up to 90 days, are available on a same-day basis at City Hall, township offices and driver services facilities. An application form and a physician's certification form is also required. The permit authorizes the handicapped placard owner to park in spaces designated for use by handicapped individuals.

Blue permanent and long-term disability parking placards can be issued only by the Secretary of State’s Springfield office, and are valid for up to four years. Applicants must have their physician complete a certification attesting to the applicant’s eligibility under new state guidelines. Forms are available at City Hall or township offices.

Misuses of the permit can result in a fine of up to $1,000 and a 30-day driver’s license suspension. Motorists illegally using a permit to park free in a metered space can be fined $100.  Police are now authorized to enforce parking laws on private property, including malls and grocery store lots. For further information call City Hall at 847-318-5200.
Parking in Park Ridge
For information on parking lots, parking permits and commuter parking permits, click here.
Parking Ticket. What are my options when I receive a parking ticket?
We offer convenient options for you to pay your Parking Ticket online, exterior drop box, in person, by mail or by phone.  Visit the Payment Center for more information.  
Resident Permit. What do I do if I live on a street with Resident Permit Only signs and I have someone visiting?
If you have a guest, you may call the Park Ridge Police non-emergency number, 847-318-5252, and request parking permission.  We need a description of the vehicle(s) and, if possible, the license plate number(s).
Snow Parking Restrictions. What are the City's snow parking restrictions?
Parking is prohibited on both sides of streets designated as snow routes, after 2" of snow has fallen, until 24 hours after the snow stops. Residents may call 847-318-6101 for a recorded message as to whether snow parking restrictions are in effect.

Most main streets are posted as snow routes. Vehicles parked there during snow parking restriction times will be ticketed and towed at the owner's expense. Parking is also prohibited as posted on the north and west sides of all other residential streets after 2" of snow has fallen, until 24 hours after the snow has stopped. If snow falls during the night, vehicles parked in violation of snow parking restrictions will be ticketed.
Truck. Can I park a truck on the street in Park Ridge?
Trucks with Class "A" or "B" license plates and/or over the gross weight of 8,000 lbs cannot be parked on the street.  If you have a truck, it must be in a garage, behind the line of the house, or in the alley. If you have any questions regarding exemptions or corner lots, please contact the Zoning Department at 847-318-5291.

Police Department

Bicycle Registration. Does the City register bicycles?
Residents may register their bicycles at no charge with the Police Department. Bring your bike to the Police Station entrance at 200 Vine Avenue, or go to the Cashier's Desk in City Hall and fill out a registration form.

You need to know the brand name, the model, style and the size of the bike. A tag will be issued to place on your bike and you will receive a copy of the registration. Bicycle registration greatly increases your chance of recovering your bike if it is ever lost or stolen.
Curfew. What are the curfew laws in Park Ridge?
The curfew in Park Ridge is 11 pm - 6 am, Sunday through Thursday, and 12 am - 6 am, Friday and Saturday, for everyone under the age of 18.

The curfew for the Pickwick Plaza (the pedestrian plaza between Northwest Hwy and Summit Ave on the east side of buildings fronting Prospect Ave) is 9 pm - 6 am for everyone under the age of 18.
Emergency Notification. Does the City have emergency notification program?
The City participates in a resident/employee notification system that can be used to notify citizens by telephone in emergencies or provide citizens with important announcements.  You can sign up for this system HERE.
Fingerprinting. Does the Police Department do fingerprinting?
Fingerprinting is done by appointment only, and for Park Ridge residents only. To make an appointment, call the police desk (24 hours a day) at 847-318-5252.

We do NOT do fingerprinting for immigration/naturalization purposes. For a designated print service call 1-800-375-5283.
"For Sale" Signs. Can I put a for sale sign on my car, motorcycle or boat?
The City of Park Ridge has an ordinance stating that you cannot have a "For Sale" sign on a vehicle if it is parked on public property. If the vehicle is on private property, with the property owner's approval, you may display a sign on the vehicle. The vehicle must also have proper registration to be on public/private property.
House Watch. Will the police department watch my house while I'm on vacation?
When you go away on vacation, the police department will do a "vacation watch" on your residence.  An extra patrol will be made around your residence by the officer in that area.  This service does not include picking up mail or packages, and can only be used for up to 30 days, and not for vacant/empty homes.  It is simply an added precaution to help prevent your home from being burglarized or damaged while you are away.

You can complete the vacation watch form online or you can print it out complete the form by hand, and fax  to  (847-318-5308) or mail it to the Park Ridge Police Department, 200 S. Vine, Park Ridge, IL 60068.  We will need to know the dates you will be gone, if you have automatic timers on your lights, emergency contact information (local), and the license plates of any vehicle that will be left at your residence in your absence.  We also have light timers available (up to two per household) at no charge at the police department. If you have questions, feel free to contact the police department at 847-318-5252.
Injured Animal. What should I do if I see an injured animal?
If you see an injured animal, do not attempt to move or dispose of the animal yourself. Call 9-1-1 or our non-emergency line, 847-318-5252, and we will dispatch an officer.
Lost Pet. What do I do if I lose or find a pet?
If you have lost a pet, you can call the police department, 847-318-5252, 24 hours a day, to report your missing pet. We take all the information necessary to ensure that your pet is safely returned to you if it is found.

If you find a lost animal, check for any tags. If there is a name and number on the tag, you can contact the owner of the pet directly. If you cannot locate an owner, you may call the police department and we will dispatch an officer to pick up the animal. The animal is then impounded at the Northwest Animal Hospital, 2024 S River Rd, Des Plaines, 847-296-3112, until an owner comes to claim it.
Police Report. How do I obtain a copy of a police report?
If you are interested in obtaining a copy of a police report, the Police Records Bureau is open Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.  You will need to submit a Freedom of Information Act Request .

All requests will be processed and responded to within five business days of the date the request is received.  All fees for copies of reports are listed on the Freedom of Information Act request form and all checks should be made payable to the City of Park Ridge.

Police FOIA Request Form 
How do I Obtain a Copy of A Crash Report?Copies of traffic accident reports for crashes that occurred on or after August 1, 2014 can now be purchased online at  LexisNexis is our eCommerce vendor that makes it possible to quickly access and download a copy of a report without leaving your home or office, usually within 48-72 hours of the accident.  There is a convenience fee assessed by the eCommerce vendor, however these reports will still be available for purchase at the Park Ridge Police Department for the standard fee of $5.00.

To obtain a copy of a traffic accident report for crashes that occurred prior to August 1, 2014, please contact the Park Ridge Police Records Bureau at (847) 318-5307.  It is recommended that you contact the Records Bureau to confirm the availability of a requested report before arriving at the police station.
Police Response Service. Why, on occasion, don't the police respond immediately when they are called?
The Police Department responds to emergency calls on a priority basis. If there are a number of pending calls, those calls which are the most urgent or which involve the public safety or welfare of our citizens must be responded to before other calls are answered.
Red Light Violation. What do I do if I receive a red light violation?
The Automated Red Light system is administered by a third party. For FAQs on this program, please click HERE.

Payments may be sent to:
Attn: Department Number 0125
Photo Enforcement Program
P O Box 5905
Carol Stream, IL 60197-5905
Traffic Ticket. What are my options when I receive a traffic ticket?
  1. If the officer who issues the ticket also gives you a Court Diversion Envelope, you have three options:
    • You may plead guilty and pay the citation, either by mail or in person at the courthouse.
    • You may plead guilty and attend traffic safety school, if eligible (it's explained on the envelope). If you pass the class, the conviction will be considered a supervision and not be entered on your driving record at the Secretary of State's Office. If you fail the class or do not attend the class, then a conviction will be entered upon your record.
    • You may also mail the envelope in to request a court date to contest the ticket.
  1. If the officer who issues the ticket assigns a court date and the MUST APPEAR box is also checked, then you must appear on the date and time assigned to you. The officer has no discretion on these violations as this is mandated by law.
  2. If the officer who issues the ticket assigns a court date and the MUST APPEAR box is NOT checked, then you may either appear on the date assigned or pay the ticket at the courthouse prior to the assigned court date.
Wild animal in house. What do I do if there is a wild animal in my house?
If a wild animal is in your house, excluding garages, attics, un-finished basements and chimneys, you may call 9-1-1 and we will dispatch an officer to try and remove the animal.
Does the City of Park Ridge Have Automated Cameras?
The City of Park Ridge maintains an automated traffic camera (aka Red Light Camera) at the intersection of Northwest Highway & Oakton. The camera records violations for vehicles driving westbound on Oakton at Northwest Highway.


Recycling. What materials can be recycled?
Park Ridge has a city-wide recycling program that picks up residents' recyclables the same day as refuse collection. Visit the Recycling Page for further information.
Yard Waste Disposal.
Due to a state mandate, yard waste, including grass clippings, tree and shrub trimmings and leaves cannot be mixed with regular household refuse. Collection for single and two-family dwellings is made once each week (beginning the first full week in April and continuing through mid-December) on the same day as refuse and recycling collection. Click here for more information about yard waste and composting.

Resident Information

Alarm System. Do I need to register my alarm system?

If an alarm system is installed in your home or business, it must be registered with the Police Department.  There is a one-time registration fee of $50. To receive a registration packet, you may call the police desk (847-318-5252) to have one mailed to you, or you may pick one up at the police station at 200 S Vine.

Block Party.  How Do I Apply?

Only local streets as identified on the Street Classification System Map and selected collector streets as approved by the City may be closed for block parties. In no case shall any arterial street closing be  approved. Applications for street closings for private events (examples graduation parties, weddings, birthday parties) will not be accepted.

The City requires groups to notify all residents on the block of the date of the street closure and submit an application. For questions, please call 847-318-5240 (TDD 847-318-5252).

A request for a special visit by a Fire Department vehicle should be made at least a week prior to the event by calling 847-318-6721. The Fire Department can only attend six block parties per day and are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. If an emergency occurs, the fire vehicle may not be able to make an appearance.

Enjoy a visit to your block party by the Park Ridge Police Department!  To schedule an appearance, please provide the necessary information on the City application.  

Residents may also rent a sports equipment picnic kit from the Park District  Call 847-692-5127.
Camping. Is camping permitted on any public property?

According to Article 14 of the Municipal Code, it is unlawful for anyone to camp on any public street, sidewalk, in a public park, building or on any public property.

Dutch Elm Disease. Does the City have the right to require a property owner to remove and destroy a tree infested with Dutch Elm disease?

The Municipal Code, Article 14 provides for City agents to enter upon any private property that has a tree with the appearance of Dutch Elm disease to remove samples to determine if the tree is infected with the disease or is dead. If it is, the property owner will be notified and the tree will be required to be removed by and at the expense of the owner within 10 days of notice. If the owner cannot be found or refuses to remove and destroy the tree, the City will remove it and the owner will be billed. Parkway trees infested with the disease are marked and the tree and stump are removed by the City.

Garage Sale. Do I need a permit to hold a Garage Sale?
A permit is required by the City for garage or yard sales. Click here to apply.  There is no fee.

You may have up to three garage sales a year, and each can be for three consecutive days, between the hours of 8 am and 8 pm.
Garbage/Residential Waste. What are the rules for residential waste (garbage) disposal?

Residential waste collections are provided weekly for residents living in single family and multi-unit dwellings through a private scavenger. For complete information about residential waste collections, click here.

Leaf Raking. What are the rules for leaf raking?

Raking leaves into the street is not permitted in Park Ridge. A violation carries a $50 minimum fine. Leaves should be placed in approved yard-waste bags or yard-waste carts.

Outdoor Water Restrictions. Are there any outdoor water restrictions?
Outdoor water restrictions are in effect from May 15 through September 15. Residents may use water outdoors only on even or odd-numbered calendar days, corresponding with the last digit of their house number. Zero is considered an even number. Outdoor water use includes the watering of lawns, gardens, trees, shrubs and washing vehicles.

A special permit for watering newly installed sod, valid for two weeks, can be obtained at the Public Works Department at City Hall. Call 847-318-5228 for more information.
Political Signs. What are the rules for Political (temporary) Signs in residential areas?
The following restrictions apply to all temporary signs, including political signs:

  • Signs cannot exceed six square feet in area, nor five feet in height
  • Not more than 20 square feet of total temporary signage is permitted on any zoning lot
  • No temporary sign is permitted within any public right-of-way, including the parkway
  •  No signs may be attached to a tree or utility pole
  • No inflatable signs or tethered balloons are permitted
  • Signs are to be posted on private property only, and only with the permission of the property owner
Property Assessment. Who can answer questions and resolve problems with property assessment?
Property assessment is a county function in which the City is not involved.

Problems and questions should be referred to the Cook County Assessor’s office.

At their website you can also find information about appeals, exemptions and the required forms.
Sewer & Water System Repairs. Who is responsible for sewer and water repairs?
Article 11, Chapter 1 Section 11-1-6 of the Park Ridge Municipal Code states that all repairs to the sewer lateral (private house service) up to and including the connection to the sewer main is the responsibility of the homeowner.

All repairs to the water service pipes between the buffalo box and the premises are the responsibility of the homeowner.

Water meters are maintained by the City.
Sidewalk Construction. What requirements are there regarding the construction of sidewalks?

All public sidewalk construction, including sidewalks constructed on a parkway between the regular sidewalk line and the curb line, must be approved by the City Engineer. A permit must be obtained for such construction except when the work is performed under the City’s annual Sidewalk Removal and Replacement Share-the-Cost Program.

Snow Plowing Priorities. Why is snow plowed more often or quicker on some streets than on others?
Priority is given to the arterial and collector streets that serve the most people. These streets collectively make up our snow routes. Streets adjoining schools are also given priority. These streets are salted to provide bare pavement as a goal. The City’s objective is to keep these streets clear by frequent, repeated salting and plowing.

Residential districts are plowed simultaneously with the snow routes, but without the same intensity of resources. The time required to complete the fourteen districts will vary depending upon the duration of the snow storm.  The goal is to have all districts plowed 12-24 hours after the snow has stopped.  The City does not salt the entire length of residential streets so a bare pavement is not expected. However, the approaches to intersections on residential streets are salted (150 feet on each side).

Parking lot areas are plowed generally after the streets are plowed and are done overnight, when the lots are empty.

Snow removal is practiced only in the major business areas and City parking lots after the initial emergency has passed and only when the accumulation is deemed significant.

Snow Response Plan
Snow Removal. What are the rules regarding snow removal?

Shoveling or plowing of snow into the street is not permitted in Park Ridge. A violation carries a $50 minimum fine.

Starling Control. What does the City do to control the starling problem?

The City is using a control measure of heavily pruning and trimming trees annually in those areas of the City where starlings are known to roost. Other measures may be used if required.

Tag Days. How does the City handle requests for Tag Days?

 A permit to solicit on public ways must be obtained from the City Manager. Except as provided in Article 14-7-7 of the Municipal Code, permission is not granted for use of City streets. A permit is issued for tag days on public sidewalks in the business districts and on arterial streets only.  Click here for a Tag Day Application form.

Vehicle Stickers. Am I required to have a vehicle sticker on my car?
As part of their annual budget review, the City Council eliminated the city-wide vehicle sticker program. Beginning June 17, 2023, vehicle stickers are not required for vehicles registered in the city.  
Wards. In what ward is my residence located?

Search your address on the City Ward Map.

Traffic Regulations

Bicycle Lights & Reflectors. During what hours are lights required on bicycles and how large a reflector is required on the back?
Article 13 of the Municipal Code requires operational lights on bicycles during the period from one-half hour after sunset to sunrise. If a rear lighted red lamp is not on the bicycle, a red reflector glass button, not less than 2 ¼ inches in diameter may be used.
Bicycle Regulations. Can bicycles be driven on sidewalks? Is there a speed limit for bicycles? What are other rules for bicycles in the City?
Bicycles may be operated on all sidewalks except in the Uptown area as provided for in Article 13 of the Municipal Code. Bicycles shall be operated at a reasonable speed considering existing conditions, rider safety and the safety of other persons, property and vehicles. Two or more persons riding in a group must ride single file. Only one person can ride on a bicycle at one time unless the bicycle is a tandem or multiple and only then if the operator is an adult.

All bicycles operated on City streets, alleys or sidewalks must be licensed and the license must be attached to the bicycle. The licenses are permanent and provided without fee. Also, bicycles must be locked when left unattended. Violation of any of these regulations should be reported to the Police Department for appropriate action. Police non-emergency may be called at 847-318-5252.
Mini Bikes & Snowmobiles. Is the operation of mini bikes and snowmobiles permitted in the City?
Mini bikes may only be operated on private property with the permission of the property owner. They may not be operated on City streets. Mini bikes are required to be equipped with proper mufflers. Snowmobiles cannot be operated anywhere in the City, including the park district or forest preserves.
Traffic Signs. What is the procedure for requesting the installation of a traffic sign (stop, restricted parking, etc.) in the City?
The specific traffic sign request should be submitted in writing to the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department for evaluation and disposition based on accepted traffic control criteria and in accordance with the "Manual of Urban Traffic Control Devices" as adopted by the U.S. Government and the State of Illinois. A sketch of the proposal should accompany the request.

If the request does not comply with recognized standards, the petitioner will be so advised and given the reasons for denial. The petitioner will also be advised that his appeal procedure is to the Public Works Committee, which will either reaffirm the staff decision or recommend alternative action to the City Council.

Water Billing

How often will I receive a water bill?
Every other month.  Bills are issued on the last day of the month.  Payment is due by the 20th.
How can I pay my water bill?


By Mail:
City of Park Ridge
PO Box 4793
Carol Stream, IL 60197-4793
Detach the lower portion of your bill (turn it over) and place it inside the windowed envelope that was provided with your billing statement.  Please make check payable to the City of Park Ridge.

City Hall Finance Department
505 Butler Place
Park Ridge, IL 60068.
City Hall is open Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.  

Exterior Drop Off: Use the white payment box located in the visitor parking lot on Courtland Ave.

Automatic Payments:  Please print the autopay application.  Return completed application along with a voided check to 505 Butler Place Park Ridge, IL 60068.  This will draft payment automatically from a checking or savings account on the due date.  You will continue to receive a paper statement. 

To cancel your Auto-Pay enrollment, please click here.  This application must be received at least five business days before the next scheduled due date.

Final Water Bill:
  If you are selling your property please take a photo of your water meter and email to
More information regarding this process can be found on the Real Estate Transfer Tax page. 

Click here to view current water and sewer rates.
How do I sign up to pay my water bill automatically?
Please print the autopay application.  Return completed application along with a voided check to 505 Butler Place Park Ridge, IL 60068.  This will draft payment automatically from a checking or savings account on the due date.  You will continue to receive a paper statement.
I am a new homeowner. How do I set up my water account?
This process is automatic.

  1. Water accounts are automatically placed into the buyer's name.
    • You will receive a bill every other month.
  2. Water service is not shut off during property transfers. 
    • If you do not have running water - check the internal shut-off valve.
  3. If you are a residential tenant, you cannot place your name on the water bill. 
    • Please discuss how to pay the water bill with your landlord.
Questions? Call 847-318-5223.
How do I set up leak alerts?
Water Smart Customer Portal
Flow chart
Water Smart is a free online service where you can pay and view your bill, monitor water use, and set up leak alerts.  If your home has a smart water meter, Water Smart will display your hourly/daily consumption.  WaterSmart can alert you to the presence of continuous or atypical usage and help you identify the source.  Alerts can be sent by email, text, or voice.  To set up leak alerts go to Settings/Communication Preferences.

How do I request water service to be turned off at the street?
  • For after-hours emergencies please call:  847-318-5252 (Police Department)
  • For general shut off requests please contact Public Works Service Center: 847-318-5240.
Please Note: Turning off water at the street does not discontinue your water bill. 
We have the following fixed charges:
  1. Flat Water Fee (tiered pricing based on meter size)
  2. Flat Sewer Fee
  3. Utility Tax 
How do I check for a running toilet?

To determine whether a toilet is running:

  • Place a few drops of food coloring in the tank. 
  • Do not flush. 
  • Wait at least 1 hour.
Your toilet is running if the water in the bowl changes color.  The flapper valve and valve seat may be corroded, the float rod or ball may be corroded, the flushing arm may not work properly, or the water level in the tank is too high and spills into the overflow tube.

The property owner is responsible for all water consumed on the premises, even if the cause was unintentional.
I am selling my home. How do I close my water account?

No earlier than 5 days before your closing date: 

Questions? Call 847-318-5222 and select option 4 to speak to the cashier desk.

Can I pay my final water bill with a personal check?
No.  Final payment must be by certified funds only.

Cash, Credit/Debit Card, Certified Check, Money Order, or Attorney’s Check. 
I already mailed my payment. Why did I receive a past-due notice?
Your payment may still be in transit.  Or we received your payment after the past due notice was printed (refer to the bill date).  Payments by mail can take 7-10 days to be received.  This includes online bill-pay through your banking institution (your bank physically prints a check and mails it on your behalf). 

You may call us at 847-318-5223 to confirm your payment was received. 
Why don't I have water?
Public Works may be repairing a main break or another issue on or near your street. In an emergency situation, you may not be notified. However, in most instances a notice will be placed on your door, alerting you to the temporary shut off.

Other reasons for water shut off include:

  • Failure to submit payment.
  • Denial of access to inspect, repair, or replace water meter.
For more information regarding termination of service you may reference Ordinance 11-1-13.

If water services are disconnected due to a delinquent utility account, the full outstanding balance plus a $50 turn-on fee ($250 outside normal business hours) is required before water services will be reinstated. If water services are disconnected due to failure to provide a meter reading or failure to provide access, compliance plus a $50 turn-on fee ($250 outside normal business hours) is required before water services will be reinstated. Personal checks cannot be accepted for payment. Only Cash, Credit/Debit Card, Certified Check, or Money Order. You may contact Water Billing at 847-318-5223 for assistance.

The City of Park Ridge does not turn off water when a property transfers ownership. If you are a new homeowner without water service, water is most likely turned off inside. There is a water shut-off valve next to the water meter. If water is turned off at the street, please contact Public Works at 847-318-5240 to have water services restored.
How can I resolve a water billing question/problem?
We are here to assist you.  Please reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.

  • Call Water Billing at 847-318-5223. 
  • Visit City Hall at 505 Butler Place. (Open Mon-Fri 8am-5pm)
  • Email us at (Please include your service address)